How to obtain a non- immigrant visas  (non-O and non- B or business visa)

Thailand offers several different types of visa classes such as a non-immigrant O or B visa for foreigners with specific purposes for entry and temporary stay in Thailand with having no intention to immigrate to Thailand. This page contains essential Thai visa information on how to obtain a non immigrant visa for Thailand.

Thailand visas: 'Non O' and 'Non B' (non immigrant visa categories 'Others' and 'Business') and 'long stay'.

Non-immigrant visas for Thailand are issued by Thai consulates and embassies to foreigners who meet the requirements for such a visa. This type of visa can be issued as a single entry 90 days visa or as a 1 year multiple entry visa.

It should be noted that the stated time limit (1-year multiple entry) means the period within which the person may present the visa for entry, and not the duration of stay in the country. When entering Thailand within the given time frame, the immigration officer will grant a 90-day stay (non extendable). This is the initial period of stay for this type of visa. On re-entry again 90 days will granted. If the visa is presented on the last day of its validity, still a 90 days entry will be given (i.e. in practice a 1 year multiple entry visa allows as stay of 1 year + 90 days).

Read more: Non Immigrant Visas non- O and non- B

Visa on Arrival and Tourist Visa

A Thai visa is the official visa paper or visa stamp endorsed in a person’s passport (a passport with a Thai visa) indicating that the person is permitted to enter Thailand and remain there for a period of time, subject to permission of the Thai immigration official at the time of actual entry. At present, a visa may be issued in the form of a sticker or stamp in the applicant’s passport.  Thailand attaches various conditions to visas like whether the visa is valid for one or more entries into Thailand and the period that the person may stay in Thailand. 

Thailand offers several different classes and types of visas such as a tourist visa, visa on arrival, a Thai non-immigrant O or B visa, marriage visa, retirement visa, educational visa, etc.. The visa will include details of the type and class, for example, a business visa will be indicated as a non-immigrant visa class B (Non B), while the spouse of the foreigner issued a class B will be issued a class O (Non O).

How to obtain Thai visas: 'Visa on Arrival' and 'Tourist Visa''

Every person traveling to Thailand must ensure he obtains the correct visa before traveling to Thailand. Except for the 'Thai visa on arrival' category which is issued on entry, all visas must be applied for at a Thai consulate or embassy outside Thailand and the foreigner must make sure he completes the correct visa application form and brings the required and, if any, supporting documents for the appropriate visa class application. Only in exceptional cases a visa can be 'upgraded' inside Thailand.

Read more: Visas To Thailand

Thailand retirement visa (non-immigrant O-A visa category)

A Thailand retirement visa is meant for foreigners over 50 who are in the state of being retired, i.e. stopped working and retired from their occupation or business. A foreigner issued a retirement visa (the category non-immigrant O-A) is not allowed to work in Thailand.

Thailand visas: Retirement non-immigrant O-A Visa

Warning: visa rules and conditions change regularly. The information about retirement visas in Thailand is provided as general information and is not intended to be comprehensive.

Temporary stay (long stay)

In the case of a retiree: permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time, the following rules and conditions are guidelines for the Immigration Bureau to follow in granting foreigners permission to stay in the Kingdom of Thailand on a temporary basis.

  1. The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM); and
  2. The applicant is 50 years of age or over; and
  3. Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or
  4. Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank account transactions for the past 3 months; or
  5. Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application
  6. For an alien who entered Thailand before October 21, 1998 and continuously allowed to stay in the Kingdom as a retiree, the following shall apply:

    Read more: Thai Retirement Visa O-A

How to obtain a Thailand marriage visa

A marriage visa under Thai immigration laws in Thailand is issued to foreigners who officially married a Thai national, comply with the regulations for a Thai marriage visa and apply to stay long term in Thailand on the grounds of marriage. A marriage under Thai immigration laws is the government recognized and in at the amphur (or in Bangkok 'Khet') registered marriage in which individuals have united their lives legally, economically and emotionally (and not a Buddhist ceremonial marriage).

Read more: Thai Marriage Visa